Real Estate Lawyer in Colombia
Colombia is an absolutely lovely country to buy real estate in (feel free to read my market analysis here), but using a real estate lawyer when making a transaction is non-negotiable.
Many things can go wrong when buying real estate in Colombia
Just to name a few:
Liens on the property.
Mortgages on the property.
Past transactions that were not completed properly, which could lead to claims later on.
Not all owners agreeing to the sale.
The sellers not having gone through the proper courts to process their inheritance.
- Outright fraud.
A house that needs to be legalized / was build illegally
- Not bringing in the money properly into Colombia, without using the correct forms, which means repatriating the money later on might be impossible.
Get a good real estate lawyer before moving forward with any real estate transaction in Colombia. Also, be careful before using the lawyer that is recommended by your real estate agent. There is a potential for a conflict of interest. It’s always much safer to use your own real estate lawyer in Colombia.
Meet Alan, my real estate and immigration lawyer in Colombia
My lawyer Alan and his team will take good care of you. He is a US-based attorney that has a law firm in both New York and in Colombia. His team is used to working with foreigners and helping them with their real estate transactions and to obtain residency in Colombia. His prices are surprisingly affordable as he has made the process as efficient as possible.
Watch the Youtube video above I recorded with him in which we discuss what to watch out for when making a real estate purchase in Colombia.
Lawyer fees for a real estate transaction in Colombia+ 3rd party fees
- Legal analysis
- Title analysis
- Drafting of sales contract
- Signing of sales contract in person at the notary public
- Colombian Central Bank documentation to ensure the incoming money is properly registered (important!)
- Organizing public deed with notary, and then help with signature
Or send an email to email@example.com to get in touch with Alan.
Other services in Colombia:
- My favourite real estate agent in Medellin
- How to obtain residency in Colombia
- My favourite real estate agent in Bogota
Articles on Colombia:
- Making a Real Estate Investment in Medellin, Colombia
- Is it too early to make a Real Estate Investment in Bogota, Colombia?
- Making a Real Estate Investment in Cali, Colombia – the next frontier?
- Actual Capitalization Rates / Rental yields in Medellin
- $100,000 investment house in Medellin, Colombia
- Penthouse Investing with High Yields in Medellin
- Is Colombian real estate still investable following the election of Gustavo Petro?
- Double-digit yields in Bogota for Airbnb multifamily units