Fastest way to get Permanent Residency in Malta
People often ask me what is the fastest way to get permanent residency in the European Union within the Schengen area. It turns out that the fastest way is to obtain permanent residency in Malta. It’s fast and easy, but not cheap.
Who qualifies for Permanent Residency in Malta through investment?
If you meet the criteria, you obtain permanent residency for:
- your spouse
- your children under the age of 18
- your dependent children above the age of 18
- your own parents
- your spouse’s parents.
In one go, three entire generations can get permanent residency in the European Union through Malta this way.
How to obtain Permanent Residency in Malta through investment
The official name of the program uses the word “investment”, but really, it is more of a donation.
You must either:
- Make a donation of €100,000 and sign a 5-year lease agreement for at least €10,000 or €12,000 per year (depending on the region)
- Make a donation of €70,000 and buy real estate in Malta to the tune of €300,000 or €350,000 (depending on the region)
After 5 years you are free to sell the house, and sign whatever lease agreement you wish. The only criteria to keep your permanent residency is to have an address in Malta.
It truly is a *permanent* residency in Malta.
Benefits of Permanent Residency in Malta
- Access to the Schenghen zone for more than 180 days per year.
- No minimum stay requirements to keep it active. You just need to go there once for biometrics.
- Low cost of processing.
- Great tax benefits. Laszlo and his team can advise you on ways to greatly reduce your tax burden if you become a tax resident of Malta. For example, for non Americans, it’s possible to reduce your capital gains taxes to zero if you structure things properly, as a tax resident of Malta.
- As mentioned earlier the whole family can qualify
- It is truly permanent, lifetime. It’s a superior status to the Greek and Portuguese Golden Visas
- You get to live in a beautiful, Mediterranean, developed European country of 500,000 souls with amazing food, culture, and weather.
- Preferred access to healthcare and education.
Does the Permanent Residency Program in Malta lead to Citizenship?
Theoretically you can apply for citizenship after 7 years of residency. Will you get it? Objectively probably not. If you haven’t been living full-time on the island you can be sure you will be rejected.
Even for people who have been living on the island for 7 years they need to demonstrate they have very strong ties to the culture and community. Typically, people need to spend at least 12 years full-time before they get naturalized.
Essentially, I would not count on this programme for an easy citizenship.
If you want to buy the Maltese citizenship, it is possible, but it generally means you need to donate at least €600,000, sign a lease agreeement or buy a house, and pay a nuber of extra fees. If you’re interested in this option reach out to Laszlo below and let him know you’d like to enquire about the citizenship by investment program in Malta.
This is why I work with Laszlo
Laszlo has been in the high-end immigration industry for close to 30 years. He is the MD of a company helping HNWI obtain second citizenships and residencies. He won’t try to up-sell you an overpriced piece of real estate, but rather tries to understand your needs to help you choose the programme that is best suited to you and your family. You can contact him using the form below.
Main documents needed to apply for the Malta Permanent Residency by Investment Program
- Certified copy of passport
- Apostilled criminal background check
- Apostilled marriage certificate
- Apostilled Birth certificate
- Source of funds
- Health certificate
or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include your Whatsapp number if you use it.
Other ways to get Golden Visas and Citizenships by Investment:
- Be careful when you buy a passport in the Caribbean
- Best Deal for the Citizenship by Investment in Turkey
- How to obtain Vanuatu Citizenship by Investment
- Saint Lucia Citizenship by Investment
- St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship by Investment
- Buy affordable real estate to obtain the Egyptian citizenship by Investment
- High ROI Real Estate for investing in the Greece Golden Visa