Real Estate Lawyer in Montenegro
You want to purchase real estate in Montenegro after having read my article, and require a good lawyer to help you navigate the process?
I have the right person for you. I’ve worked with him in the past, he is reasonably priced, and will ensure you do not get “played” because let’s face it, that’s always a risk as a foreigner.
Buying real estate in Montenegro is a little bureaucratic – it can take a few weeks. Also, due to its communist past, the title deeds are quite complicated, and sometimes have multiple claims on them. Also, some properties were never properly legalized and registered. Using a good lawyer who defends your interests is non-negotiable.
IMPORTANT: Never use a lawyer proposed by your real estate agent. This point is valid for any international market in which you choose to invest. The reality is that there can be a conflict of interest in such cases. Though you are officially the lawyer’s client, who is more important? You and your single transaction, or the agent that brings dozens of clients? I repeat – Get your own lawyer. Using your own lawyer won’t be more expensive, but will offer you much more security.
My real estate lawyer in Montenegro is half Montenegrin, half German. He speaks English, German, and Montenegrin fluently.
Lawyer fees for a real estate transaction in Montenegro
- Verification of ownership details
- Verification of potential mortgage or lien on the property
- Verification of history of the property, and ensuring it is properly registered
- Verifying the sales contract which is drafted by the seller’s lawyer
- The lawyer will ensure the sales gets properly registered at the local cadastre by following up with the authorities
- Can be done remotely with a power of attorney. You can do the whole transaction from abroad, or even parts of it if you don’t have enough time in Montenegro
Important to understand: The real estate legal services are performed by a lawyer. We at The Wandering Investor are a middleman and therefore have no liability.