Real Estate Lawyer in Montenegro
Montenegro is an absolutely lovely country to buy real estate in (feel free to read my market analysis here), but using a real estate lawyer when making a transaction is non-negotiable.
Many things can go wrong when buying real estate in Montenegro
Just to name a few:
Liens on the property.
Mortgages on the property.
Past transactions that were not completed properly, which could lead to claims later on.
Not all owners agreeing to the sale.
The sellers not having gone through the proper courts to process their inheritance.
An existing house without a building nor usage permit
A house that needs to be legalized / was build illegally.
Over half of the housing stock in Montenegro has been built without proper documentation, and has yet to go through the legalization process. Buying such a place is not necessarily a bad move, but you must be aware of it as some situations are riskier than others, and more expensive to fix. In most cases fines will have to be paid.
My point is, get a good real estate lawyer before moving forward with any real estate transaction in Montenegro. Also, be careful before using the lawyer that is recommended by your real estate agent. There is a potential for a conflict of interest. It’s always much safer to use your own real estate lawyer in Montenegro.
Meet Bojana, who works at a large law firm in Montenegro
Bojana works at a large law firm in Montenegro, with their main office in Podgorica, the capital. She herself is based in Tivat.
Depending on your brief she will allocate the most appropriate lawyer to your case. The lawyers also come weekly to the coast.
You’ll be in good hands with her team. I negotiated a special flat rate for people so that they do not get any surprises.
Lawyer fees for a real estate transaction in Montenegro
- Verification of ownership details
- Verification of potential mortgage or lien on the property
- Checking legalization status of the property
- Drafting of sales contract
- Can we done remotely through Power of Attorney for an extra €250
- VAT of 21% on legal fees payable only if you are a Montenegrin company or Montenegrin tax resident
Or send an email to email@example.com.
Other services in Montenegro:
- My favourite real estate agents in Montenegro
- Create a company in Montenegro
- How to obtain residency in Montenegro
Articles on Montenegro:
- A Real Estate Investment in Montenegro – full market analysis
- How to flip a house for a 50% gain in Montenegro
- Decent rental yields for Airbnb Real Estate Investments in Montenegro
- Buying Montenegro Real Estate – a Case Study with ROI figures